– The Festival Saw Big Wins by South Florida Restaurants and Bars –
MIAMI BEACH, Fla.–(BUSINESS WIRE)–#SOBEWFF–America’s favorite gourmet gathering on the beach, the Food Network South Beach Wine & Food Festival presented by Capital One (SOBEWFF®) took over the Magic City February 23-26 with its largest edition ever welcoming nearly 65,000 fans from across the country. The four-day Festival featured more than 110 events spanning Miami-Dade and Broward counties and celebrated 22 years of FIU students helping to run the nationally recognized event. The Festival showcased culinary greats such as Bobby Flay, Alex Guarnaschelli and Guy Fieri and major star power with the likes of DJ Khaled, Rev Run, Jane Krakowski, Neil Patrick Harris, David Burtka and many others who descended upon South Beach for the nation’s largest wine and food event. South Florida chefs, restaurants and bars also won big throughout the weekend.
- The Schweid & Sons Very Best Burger Award: BurgerFi
- Dish: BBQ Rodeo Burger, All-Natural Angus Beef grilled with Charred Jalapeños and topped with Pepper Jack Cheese, homemade Crispy Haystack Onions, and tangy Memphis Sweet BBQ
- Award: $2,500 check
- The People’s Choice Award: Motek from Miami, FL
- Dish: Areyes Burger, Arayes Lebanese Burger made with Lamb and Beef, Tucked inside freshly baked pita, grilled and served with harissa aioli and tahini
- Award: $5,000 check
- Art of Tiki Cocktail Judges Choice Award presented by Appleton® Estate: Kimpton Surfcomber Hotel from Miami Beach, FL
- Cocktail: Angel Lupiac, Appleton® Estate Signature Blend, Aperol®, Mango Purée, Tamarind Nectar, Chili Pepper, Lime, Sea Salt and Tamarind
- Award: Bragging rights and bottle of Appleton Estate 21 Year gifted by Appleton Estate
- Art of Tiki Cocktail People’s Choice Award presented by Appleton® Estate: Better Days from Miami, FL
- Cocktail: Shotgun in the Jungle, Appleton® Estate Signature Blend, Wray & Nephew Overproof Rum, Campari, Fresh Lime Juice, Guava Purée, Shishito Green Pepper Cordial, All Spice Dram, Roasted Shishito Pepper and Thai Basil
- Award: Bragging rights and a bottle of Appleton® Estate 21 Years
- Coke Zero Sugar’s People’s Choice Award at Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives LIVE hosted by Guy Fieri: Uncle Lou’s Fried Chicken from Memphis, TN
- Dish: Sweet Spicy Love Chicken Tenderloins, Chicken breast tenderloins brined in Uncle Lou’s corruption seasoning, fried to perfection and dipped in Uncle Lou’s sweet spicy love sauce
- Award: $5,000 check
- Best of Show Award: Chef Irie from Hallandale, FL
- Dish: Jerk pulled pork with tamarind plantain sauce and sofrito slaw
- Award: $1,000 check
- Goya Foods’ People’s Choice Award: Apocalypse BBQ from Miami, FL
- Dish: Cafecito Ribs, Slow-smoked spare ribs seasoned with a Cuban coffee-based rub and finished with Oro Negro, a colada-infused BBQ sauce
- Award: Donation of 10,000 pounds of Goya products to the chef’s charity of choice
- Yelp’s Best Bite on the Beach (Saturday 2/25): Ceviches by Divino from Miami, FL
- Yelp’s Best Bite on the Beach (Sunday 2/26): Café Bastille from Miami, FL
The Festival also continued to honor its commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion with three new sold-out events – Overtown EatUp! hosted by Marcus Samuelsson and Amaris Jones which featured a special performance by Deep Fried Funk Band, The Cookout hosted by JJ Johnson and D-Nice and Our Sunday Table: Jazz Brunch with The Grey and Friends hosted by Mashama Bailey which featured a sultry performance by South Florida’s beloved LaVie.
On Saturday, February 25, the Americana Lawn at the Loews Miami Beach was transformed for the debut of FoodieCon® presented by Instagram. The all-day outdoor experience rounded up 15 digital content creators and featured an array of sponsors, activations, cooking demos, and panels including special appearances by Guy Fieri, Andrew Zimmern and hospitality impresario David Grutman.
The 22nd annual Tribute Dinner was a star-studded affair honoring the outstanding accomplishments of the culinary community’s award-winning chef, cookbook author, and television personality Alex Guarnaschelli and Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Pernod Ricard Global, Alexandre Ricard. Masters of Ceremonies Bobby Flay hosted the lavish affair which took place at the Loews Miami Beach Hotel and even featured a flash mob including Jeff Mauro, Marcus Samuelsson, Jet Tila, Tiffany Faison, Marc Murphy, Antonia Lofaso and more! An unparalleled roster of highly decorated chefs came together to curate a menu designed to celebrate these two esteemed personalities, including dishes by Guy Fieri, Amanda Freitag, Eric Adjepong, Ayesha Nurdjaja and Geoffrey Zakarian. Among the evening’s highlights was The Muse Collection Live Auction which raised over $250,000 and was led by celebrity auctioneer Jeff Mauro, and The Protravel International Silent Auction which raised over $90,000.
The Goya Foods’ Grand Tasting Village took over a sprawling three city blocks on the sands of Miami Beach and featured activations by more than 80 brands including Stella Artois which debuted three new sauces curated by chef Roy Choi at their Frites Artois activation. The David Grutman Experience saw a show-stopping set by iconic DJ Cedric Gervais and ended with a special performance by Grammy-winning artist DJ Khaled. Cocktails for this experience were curated by renowned brands such as Belvedere Vodka, Volcan Tequila, Hennessy, and Moët & Chandon champagne. Colombian singer Maluma was also on hand to meet and greet fans and serve up sips of his new brand cristalino mezcal, Contraluz.
This year the Festival hired Clean Vibes, a company formed and dedicated to responsible on-site waste management to implement a three-stream waste collection system to divert as much waste as possible from the landfill through recycling and composting. Between recycling, composting and the Festival’s food rescue efforts lead by Dr. John Buschman, the Festival’s Green Team diverted over 43 tons (86,127 lbs.) of waste from the Goya Foods’ Grand Tasting and North Venue events.
SAVE THE DATE: SOBEWFF® will return for its 23rd edition on February 22-25, 2024. Stay up to date all year long by following along with the #SOBEWFF hashtag on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook.
IMAGES ARE AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST.
About the Food Network South Beach Wine & Food Festival presented by Capital One
EAT. DRINK. EDUCATE. All proceeds from the Festival benefit the students of the Florida International University Chaplin School of Hospitality & Tourism Management who also assist Festival organizers with sponsorship fulfillment, restaurant and exhibitor recruitment, logistics, and inventory as well as working alongside some of the world’s greatest celebrity chefs and winemakers. To date, SOBEWFF® has raised more than $34 million for the School. In November 2022, BizBash named the Festival the #1 Food & Restaurant Industry event in the United States for the tenth year in a row.
The South Beach Wine & Food Festival® is produced by Florida International University and Southern Glazer’s Wine & Spirits, with the support of the Miami Beach Visitors & Convention Authority and the Miami-Dade County Department of Cultural Affairs. For more information about the Festival, visit sobewff.org or call 866.271.8540. For more information about Florida International University visit fiu.edu, for the Chaplin School of Hospitality & Tourism Management visit hospitality.fiu.edu and for more information about Southern Glazer’s Wine & Spirits visit southernglazers.com.
Brustman Carrino Public Relations